Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Feeling better!

I got sick over the past week or so. I lost my voice and my nose was like a faucet. My daughter was on fall break, too, so it was kind of hard getting any rest.

But I feel a lot better today. Still have some sniffles, but doing better.

I tried tie-dying some stuff and it turned out OK. I wanted to learn to dye since my daughter is constantly ruining her clothes by getting paint and markers on them. Sometimes, I can get the paint out, sometimes I can't. I figured, that if I could dye over the paint and hide it, then her clothes would still be good for school. :)

It's cheaper to buy some RIT dye than to buy a new wardrobe. LOL

Rei is talking much more! It's in a sort of stereotypical way, in the sense of autistic kids... she has a set of phrases that she uses to communicate. She says, "I want ____" or "I need ____." She can also say, "I can't." or "Not right now." She has conversations with me and other people with more garbled words. A few I catch now and again. It's interesting how she thinks about things--I think the way she uses language is a clue to how she thinks about things. In some ways, she is a very rigid person: certain things should be done certain ways. In other ways, she is flexible and creative.

She loves to dance and we rented the movie: Barbie and the 12 Dancing Princesses. It's a good movie for kids. I am actually a big fan of the Barbie movies. They all show women in a good way. Barbie's characters are strong, determined and in some movies, rescue the prince! She uses her brain a lot in the movies. And of course she dances a lot. The dancing is based on real ballet, though, and I'd like to have Rei take lessons. I think she might be ready for it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey ayame! I'm sorry to hear you got sick this week, but I'm glad you're doing better today.

The idea about tie dying the clothing is a great one! Let me know how it turned out, I've got some old clothes that are too stained from painting and wood working to use anymore, but they would work great if they were tie dyed.

Drop me a line and say hello,

-Teiran (You've got my email :)

Anonymous said...

*GASP!* Someone responded before me! *shakes fist at the other person* =_=

Anywho, glad you're feeling better. And good luck on the tie dye. Not sure about the Barbie movie's though. But I'm a guy, so that could be it...

Anonymous said...

Hey, i'm really glad you are feeling better. It seems to have been a mad few weeks for you, hope things start to settle down a bit.

Oh and a big thumbs up to the tie dye idea, I love tie dye shirts and clothes, always have, I'm sure Rei will too, especially if you perhaps let her join in.

Anyway hope to speak to you soon.
Take care :)
Amethyst