Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Real life Law and Order

Today, the police cars finally left my street and they took down the crime tape. I don't know too much more about what happened. There's not too much information going around.

As my husband can tell anyone: I'm a huge Law and Order fan. I watch anything that starts with "Law and Order." Although, I do miss Lenny Briscoe from the original show. He was a really interesting character, sympathetic and tragic in a lot of ways.

I would often wonder what it would be like to be questioned by police about a murder. I thought it would be exciting: like I could help crack something open.

Instead, when I was questioned yesterday, I remembered that I felt that way, and I was ashamed. It wasn't exciting. I had nothing to say that was very useful, I think. A very stupid, sad thing happened to a woman who lived a few houses down from me. That's it.

Interestingly, when I went around to get mail yesterday, I saw one of my neighbors who lives on the other side of the block. He asked me about what was happening. Said news crews wanted to shoot footage from his yard since the street had been blocked off. He told me that some neighbors said they'd heard "gun shots."

I thought this was ridiculous and told him that I didn't think a gun was involved. I think this because A: I didn't hear any and I live really close to the house. B: At first, from what I could gather from news stories, the case wasn't immediately ruled a homicide. I would imagine that if a gun had been involved, the case would have been considered a homicide or at the very least, an accidental homicide immediately.

This made me think that my neighbors, once they knew something terrible had happened began to make up ideas about what that something was. They even began to tell stories about imagined gun shots.

I think it's a fabrication, but an interesting one.

No comments: